Saturday, August 20, 2016

Revolutionizing ECE


I desire when I work with children and families from multifarious backgrounds that I understand their differences and remove my own biases from the relationship. I hope to subsume their culture into the center and their child’s classroom. I love history but I do find it arduous to be intrigued in someone else’s ethnicity if it does not relate to me subjectively.

The mission I would like to attain in the early childhood field related to equity is building an ECE program in low income neighborhoods that has all of the assets of high income ECE centers. I have seen there is a big variation between centers who are low income versus high income. It should be a level “playing ground” when it comes to education and it is not. I think educating our children under five and continues through to high school will help to mend the social injustices.

I would like to thank the professor and my fellow classmates for their perspectives and inputs into my perspectives. I have really grown in this class and have learn about subjects that matter to people that I never really thought of.

2 comments:

  1. Kenya,
    We have learned that it is necessary to get rid of our own biases, if we are going to be able to relate to children from diverse cultures in a positive manner. I believe our children would still benefit greatly although the infrastructure in the lower income programs is not as modern as those with a much high income level when the teachers are dedicated, educated, and motivated to make a difference. The people we have in our institution are some of our greatest assets.

    I hope that you will continue to grow as you strive to complete your quest for your masters degree.

    Dellarece

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mission sounds really great and I am sure you would have an army of teachers behind your striving for an even playing field. Children who are born in disadvantage situations do not deserve marginal education. I believe we also need to assist in home life situations where possible because the home life of many children have an impact on their success in the educational setting. Personally, I would like for some of the teachers are the higher income schools to teach or assist teachers at the low income school to share any insights. Thanks for sharing! Good luck on your future endeavors!

    ReplyDelete