Sunday, August 14, 2016

Family from Benin Africa


I actually did have a family that is from Benin, Africa. We noticed that he may not know much English and knew his home language only. We tried to find out what language his family spoke. Mom would not tell us but Dad told us it was benin. I tried to look it up but the main language spoken there is French. Benin may be an almost lost language (Benin). I would try to get some common benin phrases such as, lunch time, sit down on the carpet, nap time, outside time, etc. I would try to research the culture of Benin and include pictures in the classroom. I would also try to talk to his pictures and have them bring in family pictures. Lastly, I would teach his classmates about Benin as well so they can learn a different culture. These suggestions will benefit me because I will understand how to teach appropriately. Also it is beneficial to the family because they feel included and important as well as the child.

Benin. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.ethnologue.com/country/BJ

1 comment:

  1. Kenya,

    I like all of the approaches you chose to interact with your African family. Certainly, it would be very beneficial for both your class and the family. Also, by teaching the class about Benin so that they can learn a new culture is a great methodology for innovative learning. Keep up the good work with your research efforts.

    Thanks for sharing with us!

    Theresa

    ReplyDelete