Saturday, September 12, 2015

My Whole Life Ahead of Me-What Do I Tell Myself?

As I sit down on this grass watching the camera that will take this photo of me I can only imagine what I am thinking. I'm sure I had no clue what was really going on. I now stare at this picture and my mind fills in the blanks of her life after this moment. I think about my preschool days when I mixed my orange juice and milk together to see what it will taste like. I fast forward to my elementary days when I experienced my first fight walking home from school. I remember my teenage years feeling isolated from the world and staying in my own bubble. I related to children more than to teenagers around this time too. Once high school was over I entered the military only to realize that I was unable to use my creativity like I desired to do. Later, I had my son then got married only to divorce later. I learned how to be a single mother. I learned how to be a better mom working in Early Childhood for twelve years. Now I finally graduated with a degree and now pursuing my graduate degree. I take a look at my baby picture again. She did not know all that and more was going to happen. Her life at that point was not going to be perfect. There are things and situations that baby is going to have to grow up to learn from and grow up to fix. However, she will make it to this moment where she is writing to share to the world her story. She will have something to offer the world no matter how many obstacles she will have to beat. She was me thirty-five years ago. I am me thirty-five years later. I tell myself now to keep going and never give up. You are stronger than you think or feel.
This is my quote that I place on the back of my t-shirts to inspire others like it inspires me.
The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein The Giving Tree is one of my favorite childhood stories that walks you through a person's life from childhood until he is an old man. This tree has been there for him throughout his life. I love how this book shows the different stages and its perspective of what is needed at each stage of his life (Silverstein, 1964). Silverstein, S., & Row, P. (1964). The giving tree. New York, NY: Harper & Row.

3 comments:

  1. Love this book ! It is my favorite children's book ever. I love how the book teaches children that all you have to do is give from the heart, and share your love with others. This book teaches the importance of sharing and giving ,even when we don't have nothing left to give but our heart. This is such a beautiful story about a little boy and the giving tree, and how the tree was still able to give to the boy even when she had nothing left to give .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kenya,
    As a I read through your posting "My Whole Life Ahead of Me-What do I Tell Myself?" I almost came to tears. What an inspirational thought you created, thank you for sharing. It read like a poem, whispered through the waves of time. Of all my fellow students writings I have come across in all the years of schooling, yours has touched me deeply. I saw myself in your struggles as I read on...

    Ana.-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kenya,
    That was a well written article. I don't see how anyone could not draw inspiration from your personal story. This article really touched my heart. I know a lot of us have felt this way....I sure have. You really know how to reach people with your poetic words.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete