Sunday, October 18, 2015

Assessments are Important to Education



According to NAEYC Ideal 1.6, assessment tools and the method of implementing the assessment should be appropriate for the child so its data can help improvement in their developmental areas. I have always loved assessing children. It gives me the story of their mind and their soul. I like to predict their lives by their character traits and what skills they are best at. It also gives me a picture of what area of development they need improving. According to NAEYC Ideal 1.7, the data collected is very valuable in supporting the children’s individual education and can be used to address any special need services (NAEYC, 2005). This data is like an assessment on how well the teachers and the center are doing. I used to assess children three times a year in the fall, winter, and spring. I could print out a report to see how much skills were increased from fall to spring. I could also look at the observations and see the link between the activities and the report that caused the skills to increase. An assessment tool is valuable but the question is do children need to be assessed each year under six years old or just when they are in Pre-K? According to a trainer for Discovery Point, the answer is just Pre-K because they think that all the skills should be developed regardless if it is monitored every year or not. By the time they are five years old they should have developed the skill.  I understood her point but what if the child could be on a higher skill level if assessed along the way?

In Atlanta Metro, I have noticed the quality of care is different according to income level of the families. If a family has low income they may only can afford low tuition that might be able to provide all of the high quality resources as high tuition childcare centers. I have worked in both arenas. However, there are non-profit organizations that have scholarships based on income and free childcare from Head Start government programs. According to the Division of Early Childhood’s Code of Ethics we are to advocate for every child to have high quality services (The Division for Early Childhood, 2000). In Georgia they are requiring all childcare programs to be quality rated assessed by 2017. By doing this, it will weed out programs that are not a quality rated service for our children (Quality Rated, n.d.).

The Division for Early Childhood. (2000, August). Code of ethics. Retrieved May 26, 2010, from
http://www.dec-sped.org/
Quality Rated. (n.d.). Retrieved October 18, 2015 from http://www.georgiachildcare.org/quality-rated

6 comments:

  1. It is disheartening to hear that if you are from a low-income family that you will not readily have access to quality childcare. When we were introduced to the five sectors in the early childhood education field we learnt that quality child care should be accessible to all children regardless.This was listed under the goals of the child care sector and I hope this will soon become a reality.
    I did not really give much thought to the assessment process except to try to prepare my students when I taught in the early childhood field a few years ago, for the assessment. I now wonder if all of the tools and methods were appropriate for the children. When I return to the field I will make it a priority to confirm that the assessment tools are appropriate.
    Dellarece

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kenya,

    I agree with you about the quality of childcare here in Georgia. I have noticed that as well. I used that code of ethics as well because all children should have access to quality education regardless of their socio-economic status. I am glad that all of the programs have to be quality rated by 2017. All the programs should be held to the same standards regardless of the location. It will be interesting to see over the next two years what direction the childcare programs will go in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Assessments are a great tool to utilize, in my Head Start Program we use a variety of different assessment tools, and I have ages 3-5. It helps my teachers plan for the children, and determine if they need help in certain areas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Kenya,
    Hope the journey has been great so far? Here is my note of thanks to you. I tag it in your words: "From one introvert to another".
    I felt like you understood me during the first week of discussion, I knew through your words that I am not strange and I felt supported as your words suggested that I am not alone in all of it. If Kenya can be here andher personality is just like mine then I can do this;I can make it. You see, I was scared and nervous about online education but your words like that of others was soothing. You said, "From One Introvert to Another
    COLLAPSE
    Oluwatosin,

    I do understand your how you feel about being an introvert as a manager. Communication can be a little difficult because we are so used to keeping our thoughts inside. I know that I love to write. As an Assistant Director I am trying to write in the communication notebook logs that are in each of the classrooms. I am trying to implement writing a weekly memo to the staff. However, if I have to verbally speak up I just have to learn to push past my emotions and expect them to follow through.

    Kenya"
    Cheers, Here is to learning to push past emotions and attaining a free flow of communication.

    Hope to keep in touch.

    Oluwatosin Akinsola

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like to say I have enjoyed reading your blog this semester. I enjoyed all your information , views, and resources. I wish you the best in your Early Childhood career.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Kenya,

    Thank you for sharing years of dedication to the early childhood field! I enjoyed reading your posts and blog. I am sure we will cross paths here in Georgia soon. Thank you for keeping me informed about some of the issues we face in Georgia. I look forward to working with you in other classes.

    ReplyDelete